Posted by Time Inc. on Tuesday, January 19, 2020 07:59:56 An unusual building material that was once a cornerstone of a home in San Jose has been found at a site that has been transformed into a museum.
The San Jose Public Library, which has spent years collecting historic buildings materials, found a 3-foot-tall wooden beam from the 1950s, dubbed the “Painted Wall,” at the site of the former St. Paul’s Episcopal Church.
The historic building was a landmark on St. Patrick’s Day in 1951 and was demolished after it became the home of the San Jose Missionary Baptist Church.
After more than a decade of searching for the historic building material, a team of volunteers from the Library, the San Francisco Public Library and the San Mateo County Historic Preservation Office was able to recover the building material and place it in the National Register of Historic Places.
The materials were donated by a group of volunteers who collected and donated the material to the Library.
The library found a portion of the wall that had been painted white, which is the same color that has previously been used to paint walls and other items.
A portion of that wall was removed to preserve the structure and was later sold to the San Joaquin Valley Museum.
The museum has since displayed the wall in its collection, which includes a display of more than 20 buildings in San Joaquins historic district.
The Library has a partnership with the San José Missionary Church to host the display, which will be held in the historic district for the next several years.
The building materials have been stored in the library’s archives, and the Library has planned to continue collecting materials to make the wall permanent.